Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Sad news very late

Wow I was opening my quarterly sorority magazine and I flipped through it. I always look in the marriage and new arrival section and sometimes look through the obits. I was really shocked to see that a member of my greek family line has passed away. Of course I googled to see if there was a regular obit to fill me in here's what I found:

"Our dear friend Courtney AndreasGray has lost her battle with Leukemia. She succumbed to the disease in the early morning hours of November 17, 2006. A memorial service is planned for Wednesday, November 22nd at 2pm - Chapel of the Chimes Memorial Park and Mortuary on Mission Boulevard in Hayward. A reception will follow. In lieu of flowers, the Gray family has requested that monetary donations be made to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in Courtney's memory: http://leukemia-lymphoma.org/hm_llsWith loving memories of Courtney... may she rest in peace..."

For those of you who didn't know Courtney, she was an amazing woman who dedicated her life to Alpha Phi. All of us at SFSU loved and admired Courtney immensely. It was because of her that Eta Theta was able to remain at SFSU and thrive. She believed in our chapter when everyone else was ready to give up. We all owe her so much. She was recognized at the 2006 Convention for all of her accomplishments and we will all miss her so much!

From www.alphaphi.org:Michaelanean Society Award The Michaelanean award was first presented at the 1972 Centennial Convention. It is given each biennium to those who have shown outstanding loyalty and continuous devotion to Alpha Phi at the local level.

Courtney Andreasgray (Eta Delta-CSU/Hayward) Courtney’s loyalty and dedication to Alpha Phi is most evident through her impact on the San Francisco State (Eta Theta) collegiate chapter as its adviser for nearly six years. She has helped the women double membership and promote a positive image of the chapter. Courtney has been the Pacific Northwest regional team’s resource in mentoring and assisting other chapter advisers. She was named Pacific Northwest Region Chapter Adviser of the Year in 2005.

She was in my family line and had just completed her presidency while I was pledging. I can vividly remember her taking classes for her JD and going to her apartment near Lake Merrit with all of our family line. Moving all over and spending time outside the country can definately make it hard to keep track of people.

I am truly saddened about hearing about Courtney. May her family and Courtney be at peace.

2 comments:

MQ said...

So sorry to hear about your friend. I remember reading about those students who had passed for my ten year HS reunion. It's hard to believe that lives are claimed so young.

Butterfly Wife said...

I am so sorry for your loss.