Friday, November 04, 2005

Spousal Benefits & Pitfalls

I am not really sure how Heidi (at learning to live) found me, but after commenting on something I followed her over and started reading her posts as well. As she cronicles her life as well as that of her late husband she gives details that although sometimes may be hard for people to talk about are actually really insightful and informational.

I still need to read this about 5 more times to fully understand but some of the military spousal benefits seem kind of a crap shoot if you ask me. The Army Family Action Plan symposium is coming up here and I submitted what I think I understand about how Heidi was effected by the current benefit plans from the military as an issue.

In my personal opinion how is getting the lesser of two dollar amounts supposed to help the family? Oh here you are family, I am sorry for your loss but you get the smaller cookie - hope you don't mind. Doesn't make sense to me.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I found you by reading a Soldier and his wife . . . maybe I long to be back in the Army life. I do enjoy reading about others who are in the middle of deployments and still connected to the military.

I know what you mean about understanding the "benefits" that the families of the fallen receive. It has almost been one year and I think I might finally understand them. Some are not fair because they are based on when your spouse died . . . 2003 families receive less than 2004 and there was a small window where 2005 got a lot more. The more people know then maybe those who make the laws will be fair about things. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me. I know that AFAP can really open eyes to the higher ranking . . . even though most who atttend don't want to discuss the "what ifs" . . . thanks!