Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Chew on this

Before you go all nutty and ask why I put these up here let me just say that well I may not be overtly religious, I am quietly spiritual. Spirituality for me is personal and I don't think (nor want) to shove my values on another. So I usually keep religion and spirituality to myself. These two prayers struck a chord with me today and I wanted to share. They speak of strength & courage for yourself and to help others. Being alone right now while my husband is deployed, these prayers seem to remind me of the "gumption" I need to keep on track.

Meditation in Affliction
Assailed by afflictions, we discover Dharma And find the way to liberation. Thank you, evil forces!
When sorrows invade the mind, we discover Dharma And find lasting happiness. Thank you, sorrows!
Through harm caused by spirits we discover Dharma And find fearlessness. Thank you, ghosts and demons!
Through people's hate we discover Dharma And find benefits and happiness. Thank you, those who hate us!
Through cruel adversity, we discover Dharma And find the unchanging way. Thank you, adversity!
Through being impelled to by others, we discover Dharma And find the essential meaning. Thank you, all who drive us on! We dedicate our merit to you all, to repay your kindness.
--Gyalwa Longchenpa

May I become at all times, both now and forever
A protector for those without protection
A guide for those who have lost their way
A ship for those with oceans to cross
A bridge for those with rivers to cross
A sanctuary for those in danger
A lamp for those without light
A place of refuge for those who lack shelter
And a servant to all in need.
--Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama

No comments: