Thursday, July 07, 2005

London Calling...

Hearing the news about the bombings in London yesterday gave me quite a fright. I have been in Kings Cross station as well as a few of the others while traveling about London. I resisted as long as I could but finally had to call my friends to make sure they were all okay. I tied up the line long enough to ask are you okay get a response and then tell them that I better free the line. Luckily, my co-worker's family and my own friends in London have all checked in and are okay.

I sat and watched the BBC special reports for about an hour last night up until the point that there really was no new news. There is one report that an eighth bomb was found and control detonated so it appears that the attacks are being tied in with the G8 summit at this time. Seeing these types of events really makes me introspective and fires up the Irish temper in me. I am of English decent as well, so I feel like London is a second home to me. The English even with their complaints are still standing by the US as a major ally in Iraq and for that I am grateful.

I would love to go on some eloquently written diatribe but I am having a problem focusing my angered thoughts. I think MJ has best expressed what I can't seem to say here.

God bless the families of those in London who were not as fortunate as my co-worker and I. As for the terrorists “Póg mo thóin.” You will not stop the world from turning, not if I can help it.

No comments: