Wednesday, May 24, 2006

San Fransico is at it again

I love where I grew up, I really do. The Bay Area is a beautiful place, good food, safe for kids and overall is a good place. Then they have to go and get silly and try to ban the JROTC programs in high school.

This is upsetting. My husband got accepted to Stanford for his undergrad. This is a difficult task for a middle class kid who was a cross country runner for after school activities. He didn't even tell his parents he got accepted & went to a school with a ROTC program in order to go to college. Without ROTC he would not have had the funds to be able to even go to college & we wouldn't be here as we are today.

Two of my friends kids are both in JROTC and will continue in the program so that they can enlist in the Navy & use their version of Green to Gold in the field of their choice. I wonder if the SF school board thought how removing this program might affect the 1600+ kids that were planning the same thing as K & L are? What if JROTC and ROTC are the only way they can afford to go to college but the board wants to pull the rug right out from under them.

So its okay for the Boy Scouts to not allow gays but not the JROTC program? Give me a break.

1 comment:

CaliValleyGirl said...

Grrr...yeah. This is so a**backwards if you ask me. I mean, their argument is always, they don't want to militarize schools. But they end up isolating the military, and making it very much more of an unknown for people.