Thursday, June 02, 2005

Let's institute national service

I read the Huffington Post blog every couple of days. I like John Cusack and he's posted a couple of blog lines there. It's usually an interesting read, but this blog entry really torqued me up. Mr. Kornbluth called the military a "killing machine". This remark echoes the bullcrap that came about during Vietnam, what's next is he going to spit on soldiers as they come home? Scream babykiller and other idiotic insults?

Okay, fine not everyone wants their child to join the military, to me that's sort of a NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) kind of statement but I will give them their opinion and remain off of the soapbox for the moment. So if there's no recruitment allowed, then what shall we institute a draft? I personally do not like that idea for the pure and simple fact that it leaves to much of a chance for a royal cluster screw for those that want to be in the service. Primary example is Vietnam where there were many draftees that were poor soldiers on purpose - this endangers the lives of others and is a stupid method of getting out of the service as it usually meant getting you or someone else killed in the process.

So what's my solution without a draft? Model a program similar to what Germany has for its young adults. Young adults have to do some kind of national service. You may spend 2 years in the military or 5 years (I think 5) working as a civil servant. This isn't a bad plan as far as I can see. Those that abhorrently disagree to the military could become civil servants, or work for say the Peace Corps or Doctors without Borders kind of program. This can give young adults a chance to see the world outside of their own little sphere (Yes Virginia there is a Galileo), as well as give back to society.

I guess these next few generations could stand to learn a little bit about social responsibility as long as it doesn't interrupt their trip to the mall in daddy's BMW SUV, right?

2 comments:

CaliValleyGirl said...

It's 11 months in the military vs. 13 months civil service for males in Germany...Females don't do diddly squat.

I think in Israel it's mandatory 3 year military service for anyone regardless of gender, though.

I agree with some military or civil service, the whole JFK "don't ask what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

Household6 said...

Thanks for the more correct info CVG!

Household6