Sunday, May 15, 2005

Kingdom of Heaven, not just Orlando Bloom eye candy

I saw Kingdom of Heaven this weekend. I went more for the fact that I would get to see Orlando Bloom dressed (or partially dressed) in interesting clothing and looking all scruffy and yes quite yummy, but ended up walking away with some thoughts in my head about Islamic culture and their correlation to other tangents in my head. Please be advised that my tangents tend to work like the six degrees to Kevin Bacon and have only a small correlation, but it’s there, there really is a correlation – I swear!

Now I really can’t answer about the historical accuracy of the movie. It could have been utterly wrong for all I know. It was just while I was watching it and picking up on the one or two ideals that I know for a fact are true I noticed something else. First of all I liked the fact that each side had respect for each other - the leaders had a mutual respect for the other. I find that interesting. I liked the fact that it was based on deeds - the deeds of Bloom’s character of treating others with respect even if they are your enemy. I haven't seen that style of leadership based on mutual admiration and respect since WWII.

The second thing that caught my eye was that both Bloom and the Sultan kept their words. “My word is my bond.” You hear that remark but how often in current society, especially our current government does that really happen? For me my word is my bond. If I say I will do something it will be done. It doesn’t mean that I never stretch the truth or dodge answering because the truth will be costly, but I do not back down once I commit. I see many of America's current leaders where that's not the case anymore, so does it happen anymore? Or is this a lost concept?
The last thing that came to my mind was the action of the French crusaders. My mind just drew a blank because it was a specific sect of catholic priest, but regardless it just reminds me of the fact that many Christians were such asses and pushed their ideals of the world on others. This seems to happen continuously throughout history too if you look at it (including those of my own ethnic background). It really gives those that actually follow the precepts of Christianity a bad name. There were those that harmed no one and only tried to provide help to those that needed it and then there were those who only saw the world their way. Zealots of any religion really just add to the reason why so many people today look at religion today with caution and disdain.

Today was mostly a ramble & prattle but, it also reminds me that while growing up my parents taught me to be open minded and to listen and learn from what others had to say. Even with my parent’s teachings of acceptance, I found that my blinders still left quite a small view of the world. Now, after living in another country for 5 years I have been able to widen the blinders a bit. I just never realized I was so US centric in my complaints of what I would like to fix or change in the world. Now my ideals about the problems of the world expand out beyond just the US or North America, but spread throughout the planet. It’s great when you can sit in a pub or locals table down the street and hear not just ideals from one state over but an entirely different country’s. I sometimes curse living here for so long, but I wouldn’t be the better person I am today without it.

No comments: